Night Listeners of 98.9FM KFMG-
I am back from Montreal and I have packed a fresh load of tunes for this evenings program. I stumbled upon a new (new to me) Bandcamp archive: quadcitiesmusicarchive.bandcamp.com. There is a little overlap from some of the stuff on the 319dude.bandcamp.com since technically they are the same area code but the majority of the material on here is exclusive to the archive. Some of the tunes I feature include The Afterdarks (rockabilly psychobilly), The Ballet (folk rock? I don’t know), and Paper Children (90s skater pop punk). The Quad Cities will always hold a special place in my heart since I was born in Rock Island and lived there until I was almost 14 years old.
I also got to spend some time cruising on some 45rpm singles from back in the 60s and the 70s. Some of the material includes The Orphans and Al’s Untouchables, both from Cedar Rapids. From Sioux City, I got dirtballs Sioux City Pete and Kidd Death. Of course, it wouldn’t be an Iowa Basement Tapes show without tracks from Deerslayer or Captain Three Leg! I made a Deerslayer sandwich with a track from Stickdog in the middle. We close out with the instrumental rocker “Juke Box Boy” from C3L’s A Few Lixx recording.
Next week I’ll be joined by members of Des Moines’ oldest punk band DIE MUTTS.
- Theme Music for Davenport’s Junior Theater (Quad Cities)
- The Afterdarks – “No Good” / Rock N Roll Is Dead (Quad Cities)
- Sioux City Pete – “John The Revelator” / Necro Blues (Sioux City)
- The Contents Are – “Head Collect” / Four Each Other (Davenport)
- The Ballet – “The UAW Hall” / We Were Wild Buffalo (Quad Cities)
- The Horrors – “I Don’t Need A Woman I Need A Nurse” / The Horrors (Cedar Rapids)
- The Orphans – “Without You” / Back From The Grave Vol. 10 (Cedar Rapids)
- Al’s Untouchables -“Come On Baby and Stick Around” / The Dark Side (Cedar Rapids)
- Deerslayer – “Music Table 3” / Music Table (Cedar Rapids)
- Stickdog – “Evolution” / Human (Iowa City)
- Deerslayer – “Memory in a Bruise You Gave” / Guitar Cryer (Cedar Rapids)
- The Eclectics – “Big Tough Dreams” / It’s Another Iowa Compilation (Cedar Falls)
- Paper Children – “Far Away Place” / Paper Children (Quad Cities)
- Kidd Death – “Junk Bound Ghost” / Lowbrow (Sioux Cities)
- Captain Three Leg – “Jukebox Boy” / A Few Lixx (Ottumwa)