Night Listeners of 98.9 KFMG –
I hope all of you have made it to the State Fair this week. I have spent my last four days working on the grounds with Viceland News. I usually make it the fair one day each year and to be honest I feel like I get my fill of the experience. However, four days at the fair is a whole other thing. I have seen sights that I never knew were there including the 4-H pig competition (I’m not talking largest boar) and the weird wonders of the poultry, pigeon, and rabbit compound. Anyways I dig deep into the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City archives with some Stiff Legged Sheep who rocked the house party scene from 1985 to 1988 (or around this time), Jonestown 4 with their cover of “Hey Joe” by Hendrix, and the second track off of the Star-Throne album from When Bitter Spring Sleeps.
Make sure to go out and check out the Iowa State Fair before the doors close for another 365 days. I used to be sort of an anti-state fair guy but really didn’t have much of a reason to be except I was anti-everything. But I really don’t think there is a place for that mentality these days.
- David Brooks – “Music Boy” / The Iowa Compilation
- Stiff Legged Sheep – “Sleepless” / Garden full of Secret Graves (Iowa City)
- Bottledog – “Postmen VS Doctors” / Another Product (Iowa City)
- Jonestown 4 – “Hey Joe” / Jonestown 4 (Cedar Rapids)
- Honeycreeper – “Alone” / Honeycreeper EP (Des Moines)
- Swing By Seven – “Hoof Style” / Swing By Seven/Meth and Goats Split (Cedar Rapids)
- Spectral Aeons – “The Scythian Score” / Hymns to the Ashen Skies (Cedar Rapids)
- Deerslayer – “Spider Poised, Spider Walks / Guitar Cryer (Cedar Rapids)
- Delvis – “Red Light” / Delvis Demos (Iowa City)
- GhostCat – “City Walls” / Useless Fairytales (Sioux City)
- Kyle Numann – “Windshield Glare in the Drivers Seat” / Clumsy Morning Noises (Burlington)
- When Bitter Springs Sleeps – “Lost Amidst This Moonlit Verdure” / Star-Throne (Cedar Rapids)